Sunday, February 27, 2005

Suh and Yoo

Last night i met with my first cousins to discover more of the history of our family, share pictures and build a family tree. So finally i got to see a picture of my grandmother who passed away when my father was 15 years old. I have always imagined how she would look like, how she would be be. I looked for some similarities when i saw the photo and saw that I as well as the majority of my cousins have her cheekbones and jaw line. It was an amazing feeling because we all have something from her. And she seem more real than my imagination. I also saw videos of my grandmother's sister, and my distant cousins..and it dawn on me that before seeing their faces on tv, I would have passed them in the street and greeted them as a stranger rather than a family member. The "Yoo" surname was viewed with nonchalant. Now it's seem honorable and respectful. The next time I meet someone with the Yoo last name i could be thinking, "hey, we could be related".

There are a lot of unraveling to do within our family. There exist lots of unfortunate events but also happy and memorable stories to share. It made me think of how blessed I am to have a wonderful extended family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home