Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Emotional intelligence

Reflecting back on my years at "the program", it became clear that I should build an adaptive coping mechanism- one that is socially acceptable. I remember how I got so angry at the professors, my clinical supervior and a few of my classmates. Gosh, I need to learn to control my anger when I feel that I'm being run over. After reading about 100 pgs of Traveling Light and watching Tyra yell at one of the top model contestant, it became clear that emotional intelligence is the key to successful job hiring and maintenance. After watching the fury, I looked on online about emotional intelligence and even took a test. I can't pin point how to achieve a mature emotional intelligence. Is it through bibical studies, meditation and a consistent time management of quiet time? Or is it through psychotherapy and counseling? Maybe both. Whatever it is, I need to develop mine.

Definition:
The Basics of Emotional Intelligence Include
Knowing your feelings and using them to make life decisions you can live with.
Being able to manage your emotional life without being hijacked by it -- not being paralyzed by depression or worry, or swept away by anger.
Persisting in the face of setbacks and channeling your impulses in order to pursue your goals.
Empathy -- reading other people's emotions without their having to tell you what they are feeling.
Handling feelings in relationships with skill and harmony -- being able to articulate the unspoken pulse of a group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home