Thursday, June 02, 2005

expectation on a woman

Just a random expression about husbands, a boyfriend ...the common man's expectation on women.

I)
This girlchild was born as usual
and presented dolls that did pee-pee and miniature GE stoves and irons and wee lipsticks the color of cherry candy. Then in the magic of puberty, a classmate said: You have a great big nose and fat legs. She was healthy, tested intelligent, possessed strong arms and back, abundant sexual drive and manual dexterity. She went to and fro apologizing. Everyone saw a fat nose on thick legs. She was advised to play coy, exhorted to come on hearty, exercise, diet, smile and wheedle. Her good nature wore out like a fan belt. So she cut off her nose and her legs and offered them up in a casket displayed on satin she lay with the undertaker's cosmetics painted on, a turned up putty nose, dressed in a pink and white nightie. Doesn't she look pretty? everyone said. Consummation at last. To every woman a happy ending. Marge Piercy 1969

II)
My husband gives me an A for last night's supper, an incomplete for my ironing, a B plus in bed. My son says I am average, and average mother, but if I put my mind to it I could improve. My daughter beleives in Pass/Fail and tells me I pass. Wait 'tll they learn I'm dropping out. - Linda Pastan 1978

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home