Sunday, July 31, 2005

Downtown Manhattan

I've lived in NYC for past 22 years, and never been to liberty island. So today, my mom and I went to see the statue of liberty and the Ellis island for the first time in 22 years. The weather was perfect- not too hot and humid. The total trip for the two islands took about 5 or 6 hours. We were sooo tired at the end of the trip that we crashed and dozed off on our way home via subway.
Lady liberty: Lady liberty looked rather stout than linear from numerous images I've seen on TV and pictures. And she's not standing straight with both feet stabilized on floor. She is caught frozen in her gait- her right foot is on strike. My mom was kinda driving me crazy especially when she had the camera in her hands.
Ellis Island: Reminded me of Altatrez of San Francisco. It was interesting to see the remnants of immigrants belongings.
After our trip, we head off to see ground zero, a site where my mom never got to see after 9 11. I saw the tourist bus, and some tourists smiling for the camera as they stood in front of the gate and what was left of WTC. Kinda got me angry. Don't they know it is where thousands of everyday working citizens were murdered? I can't believe that it has been 4 years since the explosion. Honestly, I forgot about it until I mumbled 9-11..- September. When I saw the photographs, I remembered that morning being pretty chaotic. I remembered all medical staffs just waiting by the outside emergency entrance for survivors, preparing cots for surviors, evacuating d/cing patients for home to make room for new ones ...but no one came. Although we were glad that a few amount needed medical help, we realized many didn't survive. In a couple of weeks, we had some patients come in for rehabilitation. You can tell from their eyes, they were not like the other rehab patients. They looked soo sad, and weary. They carried emotional baggage. Kinda makes you think, life can change at a blink of an eye and that you should cherish your family members, and friends. And live life actively and to the fullest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home