Saturday, August 06, 2005

rehabilitation

So after talking to acquaintances, and watching movies (Million dollar baby and a few other korean dramas) that don't show the full potential of what a someone can do when he is a quadriplegic gave me an insight of how the public has a stereotype on the disabled. This then fueled a reminder and a sense of duty that healthcare clinicans must perform- educate/show others on how to function independently with a disability.
A few of my acquaintances who aren't in the medical/healthcare field thought pediatric homecare services is babysitting, and a family memebr thought working with kids (mental retardation, cerebral palsy and just developmental delayed kids) should just be locked away.
I need to watch murderball. There is life after an accident. You are the same person who wants independence,and the best in quality of life. Isn't that what any living human being have the right to?
I admit there are days when I'm not feeling the best with my patients. There are days when I lost my patience with a few of my caseload. Dealing with his impulsiveness and poor attention span while having to direct the child with my poor spanish speakng skills drove me up the wall. I lost my patience- and redirected him with a very strong firm voice. the next day he was afraid to say hello to me. I felt sooo bad, and so today I spoke with him in a clear but firm voice gently reinforcing that he needs to listen for my directions instead of haphazardly shifting one task to another. I guess I have a lot to learn from the child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home